February 11, 1639
Things have improved with the move to Naples. My first project was on the cathedral dedicated to San Gennaro nell'anfiteatro di Pozzuoli (Saint Januarius in the amphitheater of Pozzuoli). I was generously commissioned there and the income subsequently allowed me to properly take care of my family once more. Around that same period, I was able to complete Nascita di San Giovanni Battista (The Birth of Saint John the Baptist). It was a fresh work for me since I had grown accustomed to depicting Judith, Susanna, Penitent Magdalenes.
Soon after, I became the court painter under the noble patron of King Charles I of England. I have joined Papa once more on a very important project. During that time, we were painting the ceiling of Casa delle Delizie of Queen Henrietta Maria. I was very fortunate to be requested by the King for he reunited me with Papa. He was also a very avid collector and appreciator of the arts, which I admire. In fact, he has possession of a self portrait of mine in his collection!
Unfortunately, his death brought an end to his patron-ship. In addition to that, Papa suddenly fell ill and died. This has been a grievous but I know i must continue with my currently commissioned projects. Work is becoming more and more demanding and time is short! I am fortunate to have met with Don Antonio Ruffo. He has become my mentor and has helped me pull though tough times. I sincerely hope we will keep in touch, for I currently have no one else to seek advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment