Artemisia




Saturday

Judith Beheading Holofernes

September 14, 1614



  Today, I commemorate my victory just two years ago with my new masterpiece of Judith and her maidservant. I try to reflect her strength upon myself everyday. I have grown stronger and more independent since that year and I am moving along in my life as swiftly as any man. Now, I am free to dwell away from my past, even though they return to me at my lowest times. I am able to suppress the anguish and sadness, for my future has become very bright. I have met with incredible artists like Christofano Allori, whom I respect very much. They have given me much needed support. Though I am walking down my desired road of success, I still need to acquire respect from those of influence.
  Life in Florence is wonderful. I am currently working on the Casa Buonarroti of Michelangelo Buonarroti. I was highly honored when he requested my work as a part of the ceiling of paintings. I am enjoying my time in the academy. Admission to it was an amazing breakthrough for me as a woman. I am proud to declare myself officially as the first female accepted to Accademia delle Arti del Disegno (Academy of The Arts of Drawing) of Florence! I have met with Grand Duke Cosimo II de Medici and his wonderful Granduchess Christina and we are still keeping in touch. He is to commission me for a project soon. I will anticipate what he will offer me in the future...

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your acceptance to Accademia delle Arti del Disegno. It is a shame that your stunning artwork was discovered by Grand Duke Cosimo II de Medici before I was able to find it. I have just finished reorganizing Cardinal Mazarin's Academy of Painting and Sculpture. You are welcome here any time. I hope to include your beautiful paintings in the decorations of Louvre some day. Please continue to create amazing masterpieces.

    ReplyDelete