Artemisia




Saturday

Ester e Assuero

March 3, 1638


   Rome had not been as lucrative as I hoped. Though I have established some good connections, money was not coming in my favor. Therefore, I left off for Venice, which minimal success. On the bright side, I collaborated with several artists like Anthony Van Dyke and received much appreciation from the locals. However, when ends still didn't meet, I knew another move will be eminent. For the time being, my daughters and I still reside here today.
   Life in Venice has been especially difficult lately. I am in dire need of commission for the wedding of my dear girl, Prudenzia. This event is draining me of my thinning income. My passion for Judith is evidently not shared by people today for sales have been low. Therefore, I must find myself a permanent patron soon! My goodness... Only if my girls acquired some talent to create money themselves! I tried and tried, but Prudenzia cannot distinguish her positive from her negative values and Palmira can barely understand perspective on or off the canvas! Of course, God only sends talents to a select few. I am grateful for my ability to provide food and shelter for my family to this day. I should not ask for more than what I am already blessed with...
   I deplore having to solicit to an excess, but whatever is necessary shall be done. I can already envision my future regret of this, but I have also included samples of my daughters' works in my letters. I hope God will have mercy on me and my family soon and bring me a new patron!


No comments:

Post a Comment